Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas Recipe
I’m not sure if this is a Mediterranean dish with a Southwestern flair or the other way around. All I know is that it’s ideal for a summer dinner. The tomato relish is yummy as an appetizer with tortilla chips, so you may want to double it. —Cori Cooper, Boise, ID
- TOMATO RELISH:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- CHICKEN PITAS:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1. In a bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Add tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Combine cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, pepper flakes and salt; rub onto both sides of chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- 3. Cut chicken into slices. Serve in pita halves with relish. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita halves equals 383 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC