Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas Recipe
- TOMATO RELISH:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- CHICKEN PITAS:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1. In a bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Add tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Combine cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, pepper flakes and salt; rub onto both sides of chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- 3. Cut chicken into slices. Serve in pita halves with relish. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 383 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 32g protein
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Tomato Pitas
"Good flavor. I normally don't cook with these spices but this was very good so don't let the spices scare you away. Whole family loved it."
"This was fantastic! A new favorite!I used 10 plum tomatoes from my garden and they were perfect. I thought the relish needed a little something to balance out the acid, so I added some salt and garlic powder. This is such a light and healthy dish that I didn't feel guilty for pigging out! Just be sure to brush your teeth after all that onion!"
"Absolutely delicious and easy! It seems like a lot of spice to be putting on the chicken, but it comes out great - not too spicy at all. My entire family loved these!"