Spicy Chicken Rice Soup
"This zippy chicken and rice soup is brimming with flavor and color," reports Elaine Grover of Santa Maria, California. "For a change of pace, I garnish steaming bowls of it with crispy fried tortilla strips and some shredded pepper Jack cheese."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice and
- vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and without salt) equals 135 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.