Spicy Chicken Rice Soup Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 135 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Rice Soup
"My daughter asked for spicy chicken soup, so I found this recipe. I left out the green pepper and cilantro because there are those in my family who are not fans of those items, but used the rest of the recipe. It turned out great. It's a wonderful change from my usual chicken soup. I like the spiciness a lot and plan on making it again!"
"This was a great soup with a perfect amount of spice. I used brown rice. Everyone likes it, too include a 4 year old and the inlaws."
"This is a heart-warming soup on a blustery, cold day! I added green lentils for more nutritional value. Even my husband complimented the dish!"