"This zippy chicken and rice soup is brimming with flavor and color," reports Elaine Grover of Santa Maria, California. "For a change of pace, I garnish steaming bowls of it with crispy fried tortilla strips and some shredded pepper Jack cheese."
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Chicken Rice Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p43
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review