Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup stir-fry sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- 2. Stir-fry onion and peppers in remaining oil for 5 minutes. Add the water chestnuts, mushrooms and garlic; stir-fry 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add stir-fry sauce and soy sauce. Stir in chicken; heat through.
- 3. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture on each lettuce leaf; sprinkle each with 1-1/2 teaspoons peanuts and 1/4 teaspoon cilantro. Fold lettuce over filling. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 303 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
"We love this recipe! Cut it out of a friends magazine. My friend & I made it that night and loved it. I have since made it 3 times in the last month. I add a TBLS of peanut butter to the oil I do the chicken in. I have a two year old that is often here and he loves it. We just stir the peanuts in at the end instead of garnishing with them. Leftovers are great on salad or in a wrap, pita or tortilla. My husband has to have rice since he doesn't embrace the eating it in a lettuce leaf but rice is nice in the wrap too but not needed if everyone is ok with lettuce. Even picky eaters have loved it!"
"These were delicious! I used a teriyaki marinade as my "stir-fry" sauce, and substituted green onion for cilantro, but otherwise followed the recipe nearly exactly. These were great. My recommendation would be to use a stronger lettuce. I used Boston lettuce, and had a bit up trouble keeping all the tasty filling inside. But that's the fun of lettuce wraps I guess!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer