- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the first five ingredients in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, seasonings and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and corn; heat through. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon each of sour cream and cheese. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Spicy Chicken Chili
"I loved this chili but I used half of the suggested chicken broth amount. I think it would have been good with even 1/4 the amount. Other than that I followed the recipe as written and thought it was great!"
"Very good, but I found it extremely hot even with the lower amounts of red pepper flakes and hot sauce (and I like spicy)."
"Hands down the BEST chili I have ever tasted in my life and I even enjoyed it after all of the time and energy I poured into making it! That's saying something to me! I was even missing a few ingredients and had to either substitute or leave them out - phenomenal!!!"
"I knocked out one of the cans of beans and some of the peppers and it was amazing! Great for a superbowl party! :)"
"It is a nice way to use up canned goods, and had lots of kick, yet was not exceedingly special. Good, but not outstanding."
"The flavor was okay; however, it is very acidic due to the tomato quantities. I omitted the green pepper, the serrano pepper, the black beans, and the broth. I used three large cans of crushed tomatoes as I was cooking for a large group. It took 3 hours to put this together due to a cranky can opener."
"Wonderful recipe! I left out a lot of what it calls for just because I didn't have it at the house. I left out all of the peppers, the stewed tomatoes, and used 2 cans of black beans instead of both types. It still came out really wonderful! My husband loves it! I would suggest with the recipe ingredients here, using less chicken broth, as the whole carton made it really soupy. I had to thicken it some with water and flour. Still a fantastic chili though!"