As a working Mom with two kids, I have little time to prepare something hearty during the week. This recipe is easily tossed together in the morning and fabulous to come home to at night. Both my picky eaters love it! —Jessica Costello, Westminster, Massachusetts
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Stir in rice and beans; heat through. Garnish with cheese and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Chicken and Rice in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review