Spicy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Stir in rice and beans; heat through. Garnish with cheese and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spicy Chicken and Rice(11)
Sort By :
Love this recipe. It is a favorite. Lots of flavor. I only use 4 cups of rice instead of 6. I only use one green pepper. I have also put it in a wrap with the cheese and sour cream.
Needs tweaking, but overall a great, easy recipe. I only had one can of the diced tomatoes, so I added a little extra water. Did not diminish the flavor, though I tweaked that with more salt and a tsp of sage. Sounds weird I know, but the flavor worked to dampen the chipotle and make it more to my families tastes. Used only 2/3rds of the beans and one green pepper. Rice on the side.
I felt that there was an uneven chicken/rice ratio. Seemed to have more rice than what was necessary. I think I would tweak the recipe a bit and perhaps add chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce instead of ground chipotle pepper and maybe some canned enchilada sauce or something to moisten it up a bit, but the concept is solid and it makes plenty for leftover lunch the next day.
I love this recipe - my son and husband love it! I didnt do the rice and doubles the black beans. I dont do anything with the cheese or sour cream and serve it with tortilla chips or hard taco shells. I tried to do 1.5 times the recipe and the chicken was not as flavorful. I also added a little more water. LUV LUV LUV this recipe. Quick to prepare, healthy and yummy!
I did not use the brown rice or black beans and this made a good soft taco filling.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken and Rice >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >