Spicy Chicken and Peppers Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1-1/2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked yolk-free noodles
- Fresh parsley
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the chicken, green peppers, onion and garlic in oil until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cupschicken mixture with 1 cup noodles) equals 548 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,069 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 42 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.