Spicy Chicken and Hominy Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender; add to chicken.
- 2. Place chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup broth in a blender or food processor; cover and process until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in the hominy, chilies, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 277 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1558mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for Spicy Chicken and Hominy Soup
"The author of this recipe clearly states that everyone makes the recipe differently but this is how SHE makes it.Thanks for sharing the recipe Janet. My family liked it."
"I was born in New Mexico and we do not use chicken we use pork and we also use blended red chili , never Green chili for a can. We freeze roasted chili for the winter. Blended Dried Red chili. Garlic and oregano are the only seasoning we use. And use red chili only."