Spicy Catfish with Tomatoes
I came up with this recipe after trying something similar at a catfish house in the mountains of northern Georgia. My husband and I both appreciate this healthful, flavor-packed dish.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 catfish fillet (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned Mexican diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 to 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked white or brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper and cayenne. In a nonstick skillet,
- cook fish over medium for about 3 minutes on each side or until
- lightly browned. Top with tomatoes and sprinkle with green onions.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 2
- Cover skillet and simmer 2-3 minutes longer or until liquid is
- reduced and fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with rice if
- desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 fillet with about 1/2 cup tomato mixture (calculated without rice) equals 139 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 552 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon