Spicy Carrot Coins
Cumin, coriander and ginger lend unusual zip and flavor to this colorful, healthy side dish shared by Nancy Zimmerman in Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large nonstick saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Add honey and lemon juice to carrots. Bring
- to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are
- tender and liquid has evaporated. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 112 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.