Spicy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 10 large leaves for rolls. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the barley, garlic, onion, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, ginger, salt and pepper. Crumble pork over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Place about 1/2 cup pork mixture on a cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from the cut end, roll up. Repeat. Place rolls, seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sauce ingredients; cook and stir until smooth. Pour over rolls. Cover and bake at 350° for 80-90 minutes or a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 306 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Cabbage Rolls
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.