Spicy Butter Thins Recipe
I spotted this recipe in a newspaper when teaching in California more than 20 years ago. Even today, my son says these are his all-time favorite treat.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter and 2/3 cup butterscotch chips. Remove from the heat. Stir in the dry ingredients and egg until well blended.
- 2. Spread into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with peanuts and remaining chips. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Immediately cut into bars and remove from pan. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 88 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC