A teacher friend, who knew I liked to try different dishes, shared this recipe with me. Guests always rave about the unique flavor of this casserole.
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, thawed and halved
- 3/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first three ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish, onion, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid; mix well. Add the sprouts and carrot; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Brussels Sprouts and Carrots in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p245
Reviews for Spicy Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2014
"Excellent recipe. The horseradish wasn't overpowering so even those who don't like horseradish really enjoyed them."
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2010
"I don't like brussel sprouts but I loved this recipe. I just didn't make it with carrots."