Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add sherry and cilantro; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place half of soup in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan and heat through. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Spicy Black Bean Soup(18)
Sort By :
Very good and will make again. I did not do the blender part either.
This soup is delicious and so easy to make. I did not use the chillies because we don't like a lot of heat. I did use an 8 oz. can of Rotel tomato and green chili sauce (mild). Just right. I will definitely make it again.
This was a delicious easy to make soup. I added carrots and chicken for a little variety. Very good for a cold night meal with some crunchy bread. Will be making this again.
Very good. I did not use the chilies. I added leftover ham. I also didn't do the blender portion. It was a hit in my house
This was an awesome soup! We added cooked (boiled) shredded chicken and crunched Roasted Garlic and Black Bean Tostito chips on top. Yum!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Black Bean Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >