- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add sherry and cilantro; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place half of soup in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan and heat through. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Spicy Black Bean Soup
"I've made this soup a couple of times. My family prefers it not blended. It can be bland depending on the bean and chilies you use. I add my favorite taco seasoning too, that helps."
"A good, make-again recipe. I would like to try making it by cooking my own black beans, and using fresh tomato and chopped chilies."
"Literally just finished cooking this! Its pretty good. I did do the blender part, but I think next time I wont. I did not use Sherry but instead I used chicken Broth. I used real black beans (i had to cook them first because they take about 2 hours to cook) and I love spicy so i don't mind seeds on the Jalapeños. I also added Creole, which gave it an awesome flavor! I also cut fresh tomatoes and Jalapeños ( i considered them the green chili's) but i think the best thing was the Creole. Over all, I love this dish. I WILL make it again. I'd put a few things of my own though;) Oh, and I put mexican blend shredded cheese on top. AND WOW! :D"
"Very good and will make again. I did not do the blender part either."
"Very good. I did not use the chilies. I added leftover ham. I also didn't do the blender portion. It was a hit in my house"
"Killer Meal. You can even do this in a slow cooker and the 'left overs' freeze very well. I don't do the blender bit, but do give the 'goodies' a good going over with a Potato Masher."
"I really love this soup, its so tasty and easy to make."