Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add sherry and cilantro; cook 5 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place half of soup in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan and heat through. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 150 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Black Bean Soup
"I've made this soup a couple of times. My family prefers it not blended. It can be bland depending on the bean and chilies you use. I add my favorite taco seasoning too, that helps."
"A good, make-again recipe. I would like to try making it by cooking my own black beans, and using fresh tomato and chopped chilies."
"Literally just finished cooking this! Its pretty good. I did do the blender part, but I think next time I wont. I did not use Sherry but instead I used chicken Broth. I used real black beans (i had to cook them first because they take about 2 hours to cook) and I love spicy so i don't mind seeds on the Jalapeños. I also added Creole, which gave it an awesome flavor! I also cut fresh tomatoes and Jalapeños ( i considered them the green chili's) but i think the best thing was the Creole. Over all, I love this dish. I WILL make it again. I'd put a few things of my own though;) Oh, and I put mexican blend shredded cheese on top. AND WOW! :D"
"Very good and will make again. I did not do the blender part either."
"Very good. I did not use the chilies. I added leftover ham. I also didn't do the blender portion. It was a hit in my house"
"Killer Meal. You can even do this in a slow cooker and the 'left overs' freeze very well. I don't do the blender bit, but do give the 'goodies' a good going over with a Potato Masher."
"I really love this soup, its so tasty and easy to make."
"This recipe is very very good. I made it only three times since I haven't had it so long. Twice I did not use sherry and once I did; I have found the sherry made it milder, so I use that for people who don't like spice as much as I do. I hope you submit recipes again; this is so good! Thank you!"
"This recipe really hit the spot today as we head into fall. Went well with a whole wheat baguette. Will definitely be making this again!"
"I was surprised by how tasty and easy this was."
"I love, love, love this recipe! So easy to make, and I enjoy it for lunch for several days. Delicious, hearty, healthy and just plain yummy!!"
"This was very very good. I wanted spicier than it read, so I used 1 cup of Tostitos medium salsa instead of the can of tomatoes with mild green chilies and the 4 oz. can of chopped green chilies. (I halved the recipe) Next time I make this, I will use hot salsa instead of medium, but that's all I had on hand. I thought the addition of sherry made it milder, so next time unless I make it for someone else, I will not be using it. Again, this was very very good. Thank you."
"Absolutely delicious and satisfying!"
"So YUMMY, Will be making a lot of this soup!"
"Absolutely delicious, will definitely make again :)"
"I forgot to rate the stars...this would definitely be a five star recipe!"
"I just finished making this soup and it is absolutely delicious. Very hearty and filling."