Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add sherry and cilantro; cook 5 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place half of soup in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan and heat through. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 150 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Spicy Black Bean Soup
"I've made this soup a couple of times. My family prefers it not blended. It can be bland depending on the bean and chilies you use. I add my favorite taco seasoning too, that helps."
"A good, make-again recipe. I would like to try making it by cooking my own black beans, and using fresh tomato and chopped chilies."
"Literally just finished cooking this! Its pretty good. I did do the blender part, but I think next time I wont. I did not use Sherry but instead I used chicken Broth. I used real black beans (i had to cook them first because they take about 2 hours to cook) and I love spicy so i don't mind seeds on the Jalapeños. I also added Creole, which gave it an awesome flavor! I also cut fresh tomatoes and Jalapeños ( i considered them the green chili's) but i think the best thing was the Creole. Over all, I love this dish. I WILL make it again. I'd put a few things of my own though;) Oh, and I put mexican blend shredded cheese on top. AND WOW! :D"
"Very good and will make again. I did not do the blender part either."
"This soup is delicious and so easy to make. I did not use the chillies because we don't like a lot of heat. I did use an 8 oz. can of Rotel tomato and green chili sauce (mild). Just right. I will definitely make it again."
"This was a delicious easy to make soup. I added carrots and chicken for a little variety. Very good for a cold night meal with some crunchy bread. Will be making this again."
"Very good. I did not use the chilies. I added leftover ham. I also didn't do the blender portion. It was a hit in my house"
"This was an awesome soup! We added cooked (boiled) shredded chicken and crunched Roasted Garlic and Black Bean Tostito chips on top. Yum!"
"Killer Meal. You can even do this in a slow cooker and the 'left overs' freeze very well. I don't do the blender bit, but do give the 'goodies' a good going over with a Potato Masher."
"I really love this soup, its so tasty and easy to make."
"This recipe is very very good. I made it only three times since I haven't had it so long. Twice I did not use sherry and once I did; I have found the sherry made it milder, so I use that for people who don't like spice as much as I do. I hope you submit recipes again; this is so good! Thank you!"
"This recipe really hit the spot today as we head into fall. Went well with a whole wheat baguette. Will definitely be making this again!"
"I was surprised by how tasty and easy this was."
"I love, love, love this recipe! So easy to make, and I enjoy it for lunch for several days. Delicious, hearty, healthy and just plain yummy!!"
"This was very very good. I wanted spicier than it read, so I used 1 cup of Tostitos medium salsa instead of the can of tomatoes with mild green chilies and the 4 oz. can of chopped green chilies. (I halved the recipe) Next time I make this, I will use hot salsa instead of medium, but that's all I had on hand. I thought the addition of sherry made it milder, so next time unless I make it for someone else, I will not be using it. Again, this was very very good. Thank you."
"Absolutely delicious and satisfying!"
"So YUMMY, Will be making a lot of this soup!"
"Absolutely delicious, will definitely make again :)"
"I forgot to rate the stars...this would definitely be a five star recipe!"
"I just finished making this soup and it is absolutely delicious. Very hearty and filling."