Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipe
A splash of sherry enhances this hearty, easy-to-make black bean soup. For a milder flavor, remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeno before dicing. —Tia Musser, Hudson, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes and chopped green chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add sherry and cilantro; cook 5 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Place half of soup in a blender; cover and process until pureed. Return to the pan and heat through. Top each serving with 2 teaspoons sour cream and 1 teaspoon cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 150 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 667 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC