Spicy Beef with Peppers Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry or beef broth, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- Cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, garlic and pepper flakes. Add beef and toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2. In another bowl, combine water with remaining cornstarch, sherry and soy sauce. Set aside.
- 3. In a wok or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add green and red peppers; stir-fry 3 minutes. Remove peppers to a platter.
- 4. Add remaining oil and half of the beef; stir-fry until no longer pink. Remove and stir-fry remaining beef.
- 5. Return peppers and beef to pan. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Beef with Peppers
"This was a great quick dish. I think I'll add onions to it next time, too."
"I make a pepper steak recipe very similar to this and if I don't have red pepper, I substitute tomatoes. A family favorite!"
"Me and my husband's absolute favorite!!"
"This has become a regular in my household."
"I double the sauce proportions for 1 1/2 lbs of steak, and serve over brown rice instead of white."
"Fabulous!!!! Everybody went back for seconds. Will have to double the recipe next time!"
"This recipe is THE best we have tried from this site. My husband told me I could make it for dinner tonight if I'd like. (Last night was first time we tried it!} Thanks for such a wonderful dinner. Dukeyswife"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.