This recipe was inspired by my love of spicy flavors and light, nutritious entrees. The pretty salad has an appealing variety of textures. I make it year-round because it's fast and easy to prepare after a long day at work. -Peggy Allen, Pasadena, California
Recommended: 25 Foolproof Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin steak
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint or 3/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- Partially freeze beef. Slice across the grain into thin strips; set aside. For dressing, combine lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, basil and mint; set aside.
- In a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the jalapeno, garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add beef; stir-fry until cooked as desired. Remove beef from pan; gently toss with red pepper and cucumber.
- Place greens in a large bowl or divide among individual bowls or plates; top with beef mixture. Add dressing to pan and bring to a boil; remove from the heat and drizzle over salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Beef Salad in Taste of Home August/September 1996, p35
Reviews for Spicy Beef Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2014
"I like how the mint gave this dish a unique flavour!"