Spicy Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Sprinkle brisket with seasoned salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Return brisket to pan.
- 2. Combine broth, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and bay leaves; pour over meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove brisket to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices; discard bay leaves. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef equals 231 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Beef Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.