- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Sprinkle brisket with seasoned salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Return brisket to pan.
- Combine broth, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and bay leaves; pour over meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices; discard bay leaves. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spicy Beef Brisket
"I was skeptical of this recipe with the low cooking time for the brisket, but it turned out great. The sauce is a sweet, mildly spicy (not too much for my spice sensitive 7 year old) gravy with tons of flavor and the brisket comes out tender and juicy. I browned the brisket on medium high to get a nice fond in the pan, and did the onions and garlic a bit closer to medium to give it some extra time. A very easy recipe and one we will do again!"
"I always have a hard time making beef flavorful and this recipe does it! I adjusted the spiciness by doing 1/2 chili sauce & 1/2 ketchup and only doing a little chili powder. I also added baby carrots & celery with the onions & used corn startch/water instead of flour. It was so yummy & the best homemade beef I've had!"
"This is absolutely wonderful for a family gathering, especially if you like a little "kick" in the flavor!"
"carysangel, there is no temperature mentioned because it is cooked on top of the stove, not put into the oven.Karen Y."
"Does not have a temperature for cooking the brisket."