Spicy Beans with Turkey Sausage
Here's a jambalaya-type dish that comes together in the slow cooker. It's a wonderful way to warm up cold winter nights and works equally well for casual get-togethers or family dinners. For extra pizzazz, top with sour cream or shredded cheese, or try it with a loaf of crusty bread. —Dorothy Jordan, College Station, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, halved and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on
- low for 5-6 hours or until heated through. Stir before serving.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 350 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,412 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 26 g protein.