"I make this for a quick meal when we are in a hurry, but I still want to feed my family something nutritious and yummy!" relates Janesville, Wisconsin contributor, Sandra Castillo.
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first six ingredients; cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes and salsa; top with cheese. Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Beans and Rice in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p56
Reviews for Spicy Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2010
"My husband usually hates meatless Monday, but he liked this recipe!"
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2008