"I make this for a quick meal when we are in a hurry, but I still want to feed my family something nutritious and yummy!" relates Janesville, Wisconsin contributor, Sandra Castillo.
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first six ingredients; cover and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in the beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes and salsa; top with cheese. Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Beans and Rice in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p56
Reviews for Spicy Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 15, 2010
"My husband usually hates meatless Monday, but he liked this recipe!"
Reviewed Aug. 23, 2008