Spicy Beans 'n' Rice Recipe
Savory Cajun flavor zips up this quick skillet dish that's loaded with beans, tomatoes, rice and seasonings. "It's delicious served with corn bread muffins," notes Ranae Jones from Fort Rucker, Alabama.
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until beans are heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 298 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Beans 'n' Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC