- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean with bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, 1 cup of picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the beans, 1-1/2 cups of cheese, 1/2 cup onions and the beef mixture.
- Line pie plate with bottom pastry; fill with bean mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the sour cream, olives and remaining picante sauce, cheese and onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Bean and Beef Pie
Sort By :
I made this a little differently than the original, but it still turned out well. I used 1 cup of beef broth instead of the soup because the thought of bean and bacon soup in this just didn't sound appetizing to me at all. I also used 1/2 a pound of ground turkey since I didn't have any ground beef and it was plenty of meat. I was concerned that the filling wouldn't thicken up enough in the oven, so I added all of the filling ingredients except for the cheese and thickened it on the stovetop. My husband and three year old loved it and I will definitely make it again!
I HAVEN'T MADE THIS RECIPE BUT I WONDER WHAT COULD A PERSON USE IN PLACE OF THE CANNED SOUP. I DON'T BUY CANNED SOUP BECAUSE OF THE SODIUM. THE RECIPE SOUNDS REALLY GOOD. DONALEE2
My kids loved this! It wasn't really "spicy," though, which was fine--just a bit of a misnomer for me. Nice new package for some familiar ingredients.
This is the best pie I have ever tasted. I have a 14 year old who is fussy when it comes to meals and she requests this often.
I make this with vegetarian hamburger substitute. It turns out great. Way less fat.