- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean with bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, 1 cup of picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the beans, 1-1/2 cups of cheese, 1/2 cup onions and the beef mixture.
- Line pie plate with bottom pastry; fill with bean mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the sour cream, olives and remaining picante sauce, cheese and onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Bean and Beef Pie
Sort By :
"I made this a little differently than the original, but it still turned out well. I used 1 cup of beef broth instead of the soup because the thought of bean and bacon soup in this just didn't sound appetizing to me at all. I also used 1/2 a pound of ground turkey since I didn't have any ground beef and it was plenty of meat. I was concerned that the filling wouldn't thicken up enough in the oven, so I added all of the filling ingredients except for the cheese and thickened it on the stovetop. My husband and three year old loved it and I will definitely make it again!"
"I HAVEN'T MADE THIS RECIPE BUT I WONDER WHAT COULD A PERSON USE IN PLACE OF THE CANNED SOUP. I DON'T BUY CANNED SOUP BECAUSE OF THE SODIUM. THE RECIPE SOUNDS REALLY GOOD. DONALEE2"
"This is the best pie I have ever tasted. I have a 14 year old who is fussy when it comes to meals and she requests this often."
"I make this with vegetarian hamburger substitute. It turns out great. Way less fat."
"This past year I made my kids favorite meal for their birthday. This one is my youngest sons. We all love it. Thanks."