Spicy Bean and Beef Pie Recipe
My daughter helped me come up with this recipe when we wanted a one-dish meal that was different than a casserole. This pie slices nicely and is a fun and filing dish. —Debra Dohy, Massillon, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean with bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the soup, 1 cup of picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the beans, 1-1/2 cups of cheese, 1/2 cup onions and the beef mixture.
- 3. Line pie plate with bottom pastry; fill with bean mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the sour cream, olives and remaining picante sauce, cheese and onions. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 682 calories, 34 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,509 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC