Spicy Bavarian Beer Mustard
Here’s a gift that has bite! Include a festive tag that lists serving suggestions. For example, the spicy beer mustard is great with pretzels or as a condiment for bratwurst.
112 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 15 min.
- 2 cups dark beer
- 2 cups brown mustard seed
- 2 cups ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine beer and mustard seeds. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Place seed mixture in a blender. Cover and process until chopped and
- slightly grainy.
- Transfer to a Dutch oven. Add the ground mustard, brown sugar,
- vinegars, salt, allspice and cloves. Bring just to a boil. Remove
- from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 half-pints.