Spicy Barbecued Chicken Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add the chili sauce, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon seasoning blend and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. Combine the mustard, chili powder and remaining seasoning blend and cayenne; rub over chicken. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place chicken over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium-hot heat for 3 minutes. Turn and baste with chili sauce mixture. Grill 6-8 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
1 chicken breast half equals 179 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.