"We have an apple-picking party every year," mentions Marian Platt of Sequim, Washington. "It's a bushel of fun, and I look forward to cooking a batch of this easy applesauce seasoned with cinnamon, cloves and allspice."
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 5 pounds tart apples (about 16 medium), peeled and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, covered, 25-35 minutes or until apples are tender,
- stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; mash apples to desired
- consistency. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 8 cups.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled applesauce in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 94 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 fruit.