- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped candied citron
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, sugars, melted butter and orange peel until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. In a small bowl, toss cranberries and candied citron with remaining flour; fold into batter.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Spicy Applesauce Fruit Bread
"Terrific bread! I have already made this bread several times. Light and pleasingly spicy. Couldn't find the citron so I used dried pineapple. Yum!"
"I really liked the taste and texture of this bread! I used a fruitcake mix in place of the citron, and it worked great."
"Oh my goodness! This bread was delicious. Moist, perfect texture / spice flavors. I didn't have citron but chopped and used dried cranberries, cherries, walnuts from a half bag of trail mix on hand. Thank you for submitting this."
"These reviews are great to see! I appreciate your input about my bread! And your ideas are wonderful, too! I'm sure that I'll be putting your ideas to work if I make my bread again! Thank you for taking the time to let me know how your breads came out! delowenstein"
"My sister-in-law, JoAnn, made this bread yesterday and brought some to me warm from the oven. It is so light and has very nice flavors. Sometimes all those spices can be bitey and strong but not these. The bread also was not overly sweet. She added dried cranberries instead of raisins and did not add the citron. She also used fresh made applesauce from our nephew's apple orchard. Truly a keeper and added to my recipe box!!!"
"I had a bag of craisins begging to be used, so I tried them in this recipe, eliminating the candied citron. The combination of spices went perfect with the cranberries, and the bread is nice and moist without being squishy. A very nice bread I will definitely make again! Thanks for sharing it, Dawn!"