Spiced Walnut Scones Recipe
Yuletide visitors might stop by just for a taste of these moist and tender scones! Chock-full of walnuts and drizzled with orange-peel glaze, they are wonderful with a cup of coffee.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; let stand for 2 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange peel, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, cloves and mace; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and milk mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place 1-in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm scones. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 312 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Walnut Scones
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC