- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; let stand for 2 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange peel, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, cloves and mace; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and milk mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place 1-in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm scones. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Spiced Walnut Scones
"These are wonderful! Very easy to make and turned out perfectly golden brown with a great texture, soft, slightly chewy, and with a nice subtle walnut taste. The only things I did differently was omit the orange peel as I did not have, which is used in both the recipe and frosting. I also did not have the orange juice for the frosting, so used just powdered sugar, milk and almond extract for the frosting. I will definitely make these again!"