Spiced-Up Tomato Soup Recipe
Flavors of tart tomatoes and cloves shine in this good-for-you soup. Having to cut down on sodium, I often experiment with spices to replace the salt.—Carol Foiles, Clark, South Dakota
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a blender or food processor, cover and process tomatoes until pureed.
- 2. In a saucepan, dissolve bouillon in water. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 74 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 354 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 3 vegetable.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC