Spiced-Up Healthy Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 jar (16 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and barley in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, chicken and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
- 2. Add the picante sauce, garbanzo beans and cilantro to soup; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until barley and lentils are tender.
- 3. Shred chicken with two forks. Add spinach and chicken to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 156 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.