Spiced Tomato Soup Recipe
I'm part of a large family—there are around 30 of us. When tomatoes are bountiful, we'll sometimes make a day of it and prepare and freeze this soup for special occasions during winter. My husband's a barber (we're new empty nesters with two children) who also grows kiwifruit with my father.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 2 cups water
- 5 pounds fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Whipped cream
- Toasted slivered almonds
- 1. In a large stockpot, bring the first eight ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Remove from the heat and cool slightly; discard spice bag. Press mixture through a food mill; return juice to pan.
- 3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir flour until smooth. Cook and stir until browned and bubbly; stir into soup. Add bacon and heat through. Garnish with dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 170 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 1,518 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC