Spiced Tomato Soup Recipe
I'm part of a large familythere are around 30 of us. When tomatoes are bountiful, we'll sometimes make a day of it and prepare and freeze this soup for special occasions during winter. My husband's a barber (we're new empty nesters with two children) who also grows kiwifruit with my father.
- 2 cups water
- 5 pounds fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Whipped cream
- Toasted slivered almonds
- In a large stockpot, bring the first eight ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly; discard spice bag. Press mixture through a food mill; return juice to pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir flour until smooth. Cook and stir until browned and bubbly; stir into soup. Add bacon and heat through. Garnish with dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Spiced Tomato Soup in Country Woman January/February 1993, p33
Reviews for Spiced Tomato Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review