Spiced Tomato Drink
"I was looking for a different beverage to serve when I remembered a tomato drink If sampled in New Guinea," writes Dorothy Anne Schultz, from Dallas, Oregon. "I experimented until I came up with this spicy concoction. It's delicious hot or cold anytime of the day. If you're watching your salt, use reduced sodium tomato juice and skip the salt."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from
- the heat; stir in lemon juice. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 62 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 653 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.