Spiced Tea Poached Pears Recipe
- 7 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 9 orange-flavored black tea bags
- 12 medium pears
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the water, brown sugar, cranberry sauce and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; add tea bags. Cover and steep for 5-8 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut a thin slice from bottom to level if necessary. Remove and discard tea bags. Add pears to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- 3. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups tea mixture to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, confectioners' sugar and orange peel. Place pears on dessert plates. Drizzle with syrup and serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
1 poached pear with 2 teaspoons syrup and 2 teaspoons sauce equals 175 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 1 g protein.