Spiced Tangerine Ham Recipe
- 8 medium tangerines
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 slices fully cooked ham, (1 pound)
- 1. Squeeze juice from six tangerines; strain pulp. Cut a thin slice off the bottom and top of the remaining tangerines. Place each tangerine cut side down on a cutting board. With a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from fruit. Holding fruit over a bowl, slice between the membrane of each section and the fruit until the knife reaches the center; remove sections; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and tangerine juice until smooth; stir in the honey, ginger and cloves.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown ham slices on both sides; remove and keep warm. Stir tangerine juice mixture and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the tangerine segments; heat through. Serve with the ham. Yield: 4 servings.
4 ounces cooked ham with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 232 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,623 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.