Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- GINGER BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, orange peel, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine eggs and sweet potatoes; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the ginger butter ingredients. Serve with warm muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 243 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins
"These were delicious and will make them again. It was necessary to add a 1/4 C milk to the recipe. It wouldn't have mixed up without it. I used ginger paste. A Couple of spice changes:3/4 t. cinnamon and 1/4 t. allspice."
"I needed to use some butternut squash puree that was in the freezer and some gingerroot that I had candied. This was perfect."
"I loved this recipie and halving it is greatBut it stuck to the path pans I usedAnd it's not overly sweet and I made cinnamon butter instead of ginger and it tasted awesome??"
"Very easy great use for left over sweet potatoes. Not overly sweet."
"My husband and I loved these!"