Spiced Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe
Minced gingerroot and dried orange peel enhance the taste of these spiced muffins. I especially love the whipped ginger butter served with these holiday treats. —Susan Bracken, State College, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- GINGER BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, orange peel, baking powder, ginger, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, combine eggs and sweet potatoes; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the ginger butter ingredients. Serve with warm muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 243 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC