Spiced Sweet Potato Bread
This moist and spicy bread from field editor Rebecca Cook Jones of Henderson, Nevada gives a true feeling of fall. “My family isn’t fond of traditional sweet potatoes, so I make this yummy bread instead,” says Rebecca.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first eight
- ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sweet potatoes, oil and
- orange juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold
- in pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before
- removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.