Spiced Squash Rings
If you're tired of traditional sweet potatoes, this side dish is a tasty alternative. The cornmeal gives it a pleasant texture, and there's a nice balance between sweetness and spice.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Wash squash. Cut into 1/2-in rings; remove and discard seeds and
- membranes. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow
- dish, combine the cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Dip squash rings into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture; turn
- to coat.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with
- butter. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10
- minutes longer or until the squash is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 195 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.