Spiced Squash Rings Recipe
If you're tired of traditional sweet potatoes, this side dish is a tasty alternative. The cornmeal gives it a pleasant texture, and there's a nice balance between sweetness and spice.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Wash squash. Cut into 1/2-in rings; remove and discard seeds and membranes. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Dip squash rings into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture; turn to coat.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with butter. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the squash is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Squash Rings in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p25
Reviews for Spiced Squash Rings(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review