Spiced Squash Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, squash, corn syrup, butter, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourth full. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 296 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Squash Muffins
"These muffins are wonderful! They reminded me of my grandma, who really enjoyed baking with winter squash. Definitely a "keeper" recipe and I can't wait to make them again!"
"I did not have cooked butternut squash so I used regular yellow squash. I also used coconut flour and 1 tsp of xanthan gum to make these muffins gluten free."
"WOW! These are absolutely delicious!!! Change nothing!"
"I experimented and made these muffins with the yellow squash that I had an abundance of. I also added a cup of chopped apple and subbed coconut oil for the canola oil. They are so very tasty! They really seem like apple spice muffins that happen to also have squash in them. Another reviewer said you really needed butternut squash, but I disagree. My two year old is gobbling them up now."
"These were so good! Must try."
"Very YUMMY! These muffins disappeared as quick as they came out of the pan."
"my picky little eaters loved them!"
"[quote user="Mommykba"]Is there anyway this could be made with yellow summer squash?[/quote]No they are really two completely different vegetables. This muffin recipe is made with yellow summer squash though... http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Yellow-Squash-Muffins"
"Is there anyway this could be made with yellow summer squash? Or does anybody know of a quick bread/muffin recipe that you could make using yellow squash similar to zucchini bread?"
"These taste like fall in a muffin cup! Great way to use butternut squash."
"Very good! Added 1/2 cup apple sauce and cut back the sugar and eggs by 1/2, also added cinnamon. Was terrific! My guests and kids loved them - thanks for sharing!"
"So good, can't wait to offer to the kids, won't tell them they are eating squash! I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose and only 1 whole egg with 1 egg equivalent of whites. Turned out great. Thanks for sharing, I can see why it won a blue ribbon"