Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside.
- 2. In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave 2-1/2 minutes longer. Stir in the cashews, pecans, butter, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and nutmeg.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until mixture turns a light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and extracts until light and foamy. Immediately pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool completely. Break into pieces; store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Reviews for Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle
"Made this 11:30 pm Christmas Eve. Fast, easy, delicious! Bowl was hard to clean afterwards."
"Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you away! This is a great recipe. Not only easy to make but everyone loves it! I make this not just during the Holidays but hot weather too. No over or stove top. The quick microwave makes it so easy!"
"My husband made this recipe for some of our Christmas presents and EVERYONE wanted the recipe. This one will definitely go into our "do not lose this recipe" file."
"Wow! This is the best brittle ever. My family likes spicey and this is a major hit!"
"The cinnamon and cayenne add a wonderful kick to this brittle. My family could not keep away from it."