Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle
Seasoned with cayenne pepper and cinnamon, this spicy microwave brittle from Terri McKitrick packs its own heat and warms up holiday visitors to her Delafield, Wisconsin home. It also makes a great stocking stuffer!
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave 2-1/2
- minutes longer. Stir in the cashews, pecans, butter, cinnamon,
- cayenne, salt and nutmeg.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until mixture turns a
- light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking
- soda and extracts until light and foamy. Immediately pour into
- prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool completely. Break
- into pieces; store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 1 pound.