Seasoned with cayenne pepper and cinnamon, this spicy microwave brittle from Terri McKitrick packs its own heat and warms up holiday visitors to her Delafield, Wisconsin home. It also makes a great stocking stuffer!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside.
- In a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3 minutes; stir. Microwave 2-1/2 minutes longer. Stir in the cashews, pecans, butter, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and nutmeg.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until mixture turns a light amber color (mixture will be very hot). Quickly stir in baking soda and extracts until light and foamy. Immediately pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool completely. Break into pieces; store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Originally published as Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle in Simple & Delicious November/December 2007, p17
Reviews for Spiced Rum-Nut Brittle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review