Honey, raisins and cinnamon lend a slightly sweet flavor to this moist, Mediterranean-inspired side dish. Try it as a lovely, low-fat addition to a summery brunch or luncheon. Ellen Govertsen - Wheaton, IL
Recommended: 37 Awesome Ways to Love Pumpkin
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Stir in honey and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, raisins, curry, salt, cumin and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and rice until well blended. Cook 2 minutes longer or until rice is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Rice in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p57
Reviews for Spiced Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2012
"I would probably make this again, but with less or no cumin. It was quite strong tasting."