- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Stir in honey and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, raisins, curry, salt, cumin and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and rice until well blended. Cook 2 minutes longer or until rice is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Rice in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p57
Reviews for Spiced Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2012
I would probably make this again, but with less or no cumin. It was quite strong tasting.
Reviewed May. 11, 2009