Spiced Rhubarb Soup
This very pretty soup is perfect for spring. My whole family loves the fresh flavor of rhubarb, so they all really enjoy this chilled soup.—Renee Parker, Chester, South Carolina
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 8 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon slice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, 3-1/4 cups water, sugar, cinnamon
- sticks and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20
- minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Discard cinnamon sticks. Strain
- rhubarb mixture; discard pulp. Return liquid to the pan; bring to a
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into
- saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove
- from the heat; add lemon slice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Discard lemon slice. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving
- with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 267 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.