Spiced Rhubarb Sauce
Served here with pork chops, this unique sauce adds bold flavor to just about any cut of pork. The savory-sweet, relish-like sauce is also a perfect complement to roasted, baked or grilled chicken. Kara Hawke — Polk, Pennsylvania
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve warm with chicken or pork. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2
Editor's Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. This recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 48 calories,